Sunday, May 27, 2007

Metro - the movie

It is a Hindi movie, first things first. So now if you read on, I am not to blame. Consider this a disclaimer. The only one you will get in the begining and which is not in fine print. Maybe it is my years as a consultant that have forced me to write CYA's (for the lucky ones who dont know what that means, it is a 'cover your ass' document)
The reason we wanted to watch this movie was to catch up with whats happening in India, in the metros. We try to suck in as much as possible in our 2-3 week long trips but it isn't enough. Hence the involuntary dependence on Bollywood.
The movie shows
  1. One husband of 8 years sleeping with someone in his office
  2. One struggling actor hitting on that husbands wife
  3. One senior couple who ... well how do I put this... ummm.. is trying to revamp their relationship which had died a few decades ago (remind me to tell you more about this)
  4. One young professional who wants to make it big by whatever means possible (well actually only one, by allowing his superiors, all of them, to use his apartment for their sexcapades)
  5. Another young professional who has a crush on her collegue who tells her that he loves her and introduces her to his parents but is secretly gay and is doing it with her bald boss
  6. One suicidal young woman who is doing it with the husband in point 1 above
  7. One ultra practical middle aged man who wants to get married and does get married to the young professional in point 5 above(my pick for best character in the movie)
  8. One middle aged wife who gives up her career to raise her daughter but is not happy in her marriage and is seeking happiness elsewhere (with the struggling actor in point 2 above)
  9. Certain other characters

Going by this, we the meek audiance gathered that there is a lot of sex happening in the metros. And most of this sex is illegitmate. So thats all we gathered. Now if this is true, I am forced to say it is quite sad. Dont get me wrong. I am not against sex or people having a good time. Well we live only once and we should make the most of it yaada yaada yaada... But we should not screw up our lives in the process. I tend to preach and the popularity of my blog takes a beating. So as per the requests from my sponsers, I will not preach any more.

So what really is happening in todays metros? I know India is changing quite rapidly. On the economic front I read good things in the papers. On the political front... well I dont read a lot of good things in the papers. But for the social undercurrents, I dont know where to go. My friends who have gone back from the US tell me stories about how the youth are wasteful. But thats probably what people senior to me said about our generation. Maybe evolution is all about increasing wastefulness. Maybe not. I dont know... Somebody please make a better movie next time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mukta A said...

hi mangesh
i saw metro 2 days ago, and even i was wondering what point the movie projected...

about your question: is this really whats happening in today's metros? the answer is no. but this is what will happen a few years later.

middle class people from our generation do not fall in the category of people shown in the "metro" film. but the younger generation definitely fall in that category... getting what i mean?

the "metro" movie just gives you an idea of the world your kids are gonna live in!!

11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home