Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Everything makes sense... in retrospect

Sometimes people behave in a way you just cant understand. My boss, for no rhyme or reason, started behaving very rudely with me. I knew I was slacking, but he isn't smart enough to know that. Later I found that he had done that to others too. And they weren't slacking. See.. I had told you, he isn't smart enough. I was disturbed. I try not to be rude and expect the same. I took the "Do unto others as you would like others to do unto you" lesson in 5th standard (note: me not saying grade here.. aha!) moral science class too seriously.
Anyway, later on, I was to find out that his wife is expecting. It all made sense. The dude was freaking out. Our company was being acquired.. our jobs were in limbo and he was undertaking a huge new responsibility. It made sense, in retrospect.
This is especially true after a break up. All the wierdness, all the pre-break up confusion, everything suddenly makes sense once the ordeal is done. I have so many examples of this, it isn't even funny. No, not all mine. I am cool but not that cool. Anyway, I cant quote any because of NDAs I have signed. But take my word for it.
It is also true scientifically speaking. Many many years ago, when all the non indian people didnt know the solar system and all that stuff, they must have been amazed by how the sun rose in the east and set in the west. (I need to take a moments pause whenever I make a statement as scientific as that to make sure I got it right) Now, it makes perfect sense does it not. Many many exaples are there!
So my point being, (dont you guys just hate this part... my kids are going to disown me at the age of 6) if things dont make sense, wait. They will. Someday, everything will. (I am not generalizing OK.. I said someday.. I didnt specify which day that is)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And wrt the email I sent you last night, that thing now makes sense for me too. That "someday" appeared too soon for me, but as you said it did. Tuka mhane everything what happens, happens for the best.

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog couldn't come at a more apt time. Thanks.

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

land chatbo bujro

9:11 PM  
Blogger Nalin said...

I think thats a bengali greeting. Can someone please help me translate? I apologize for my lack awareness of other languages.

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing actually makes sense. There is no rhyme or reason for anything. Life just happens. We are biological forms on a revolving rock with an exaggerated sense of self importance. Which is why we try to make sense of it all. The path to enlightenment lies in realizing that rationalizing or attributing meaning to our experiences is pointless.

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous, you have taken the issue to an existential plane and from that point of view, I could agree that nothing actually makes sense and that we desperately try to rationalize every little experience of ours to feel wiser and superior to other mammals.

Life seems to be one consciousness, we all experience subjectively.

The keyword here, though, is "subjectively". What you consider "enlightenment" need not necessarily be so for others. After all, Truth is highly personal. Take one look at a star studded sky and a weatherman would go "It doesn't look like it's going to rain tonight", an ardent start-gazer would be enthralled at the spectacle of constellations and other cosmic bodies, an astrophysicist would get working on his equipment and observe red-shift of stars to guage their distance from our solar system or whatever he pleases to, or an indifferent observer might just ignore it and continue with the activity he was involved in earlier.

Staying true to your metaphysical frame of reference, Nalin probably views his experiences in a light that makes sense to HIS world. To his framework of logic and rationale, sense prevails in retrospect. I think that certainly deserves to be respected - whether or not you AGREE upon his view on "what makes sense", again depends on your outlook towards life and what it throws at you.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Nalin said...

Anonymous: Your comment seems to put us humans in line with single celled organisms. Life does not just happen for us. We make it happen in a way we best deem appropriate. I strongly feel that we are what we are because we have rationalized and thought and learned and bettered every aspect of our lives, to the best of our capabilities.
Oracle: Truth is subjective is something I cannot buy. There is only one truth. We may not agree what it is because we all look at it from different angles. But there is only one. And yes, again, when I say it makes sense, I mean it makes sense to me. Thanks for bringing that up.
The World: The need to put everything in its place, the need to have things sorted out, the need to make a clear distinction between right and wrong is what has made me what I am today. So it is something I cannot and will not let go. I know there is a different school of thought of "let things be.. just exist.. breathe.. and life will happen" that many subscribe to. It is just not for me. I have nothing against it. Maybe people who follow that school are happier than I am. I am at peace with my current level of happiness. In case some day I want more.. I will get in touch.

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home