Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Changing rules

Lets say you are playing some game. Soccer (I know I know... I should say football) for example. You have a team and you are scoring goals. The opponents are tough but you are winning. The game is nearing the end. 10 minutes to go. The refree blows the whistle and calls you and the other captain for a quick discussion. Yes you are the captain, dont forget, it is all imaginary. The ref says " We are going to have a slight change in the rules. The team scoring fewer goals will be declared the winners. Good luck!" Blows the whistle and the game has started again.
Consider yourself in this situation. What would you do? First reaction, naturally, WTF! It is going to take some time to sink in. What did he just say? You look at the other captain and you suddenly find a pal. You both stand biwildered while the rest of your teams are working hard to lose the game, as per the new rules. What do you do? Try to take the ball and score an own goal? Your team mates would think you have lost it. They would let you score of course, cause they cant imagine what you are just about to do. The other captain sees your scheme and tries to prevent you from doing it. There is mayhem. Nightmare eh?
You can kick the ball out and start conveying the messege to your key deputies about what the ref just told you. Will they trust you? Will they blindly set aside everything they have ever done and follow your lead? Not everybody of course.
Think about this. Cause whether you like it or not, you will be in this situation some day. Where you have to let go of all that you thought was right and begin working on a new set of rules, a new strategy. You may not acknowledge it, but you will be in this situation some day. Be prepared as our scout master would have said.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

From your tone, it sounds as if you've figured out how everything works in this "Matrix" (this inference is derived from "You may not acknowledge it, but you will be in this situation some day").

It borders on naivete to generalize stuff in life. For all you know, there are many people who are living life by "taking as it comes" without any pretentious notions or expectations from life. They might not experience and feel what you're saying here. I won't call them ordinary - in fact, I can say, they are people who are happy and can go to bed peacefully every night without the "overhead" caused by thinking and analyzing so "deeply" about this humdrum of life.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Nalin said...

The oracle thinks I know everything. Funny :) I should put a disclaimer saying that my blogs are not for people who take life as it comes. I take that back. One has to take life as it comes. There is no other way. But my blogs are for people who think. Some by choice and certain others like me, by habit. I wish I didn't analyze. I wish I lived life one breath at a time. I could give anything for that ability.
I still stand by my statement that seems to have offended you. What I should add is, you may be in a similar situation but may not realize it.
Help me out o oracle. Tell me what a person who takes things as they come would do if she were the captain of the soccer team? :)

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't get offended, Nalin. I merely pointed out an observation that you sounded a little over-assertive and sermonizing in saying "you will be in this situation". My point was essentially against the generalization in your argument and not so much against the premise of it, know what I mean?

10:58 PM  
Blogger Nalin said...

Got it! I will avoid generalizing. I agree, generalizing is a crime. I should say "some of you will be..." Hmmm.. so much to learn... so much to learn.

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the example you have taken to bring home the point you are trying to make.
"Everything you once believed was right isn't right anymore and now you have to begin with a new set of rules and strategy"..How about, life is about change, sometimes the change hurts like crazy..But what the hell, let's adapt. That's the only way to survive..

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home