Friday, May 19, 2006

To go or not to go... well sort of

Been in the US five years now. Had a helluva time. Learnt so much in my masters that sometimes, my head hurt. Maybe it was the cheap liquor but I am told smelling liquor does not have that effect on the head. Yet most of the learning happened while I was least expecting it. Maybe it was just the fact that I was out on my own for the first time. Maybe it was that I was finally going through the metamorphosis that people call growing up. Currently have a dream job. Well, cant be a dream if I am doing it right. So lets say, a once upon a time dream job. Feel like I have gained eveything that I had to from this country, and lost too. Feel like it is time to go back home. A feeling compunded by the fact that my parents are visiting, reminding me of all the things I have so deeply missed. Well I have always eaten everything my mom has made with a lot of love. There is more... obviously.
Once again, a man stands at crossroads (Dont call me a sexist just as yet.. I am a man after all and in a blog one talks about oneself!) There is the right thing to do, and the easy thing to do, all over again. Well, cant tell which is which really. Some day, one seems right and the other easy (and not right.. perhaps) some day, the exact opposite. The situation forces me to ask myself a question I have been avoiding for quite some time now. What do I want? Simple eh... just ask yourself and see.. it is one of the most frustratingly freakingly obnoxious questions ever!!! (paaji control.. I hear someone saying) Well the reason why this question is tough is, no points for guessing it, the answer is difficult. But what is worse, is that if you know the answer by some wierd stroke of luck, fortune, brilliance, whatever, you are now forced to act on it. Why? Well think about this, walk to a grocer in India and say "Bhaisaab aloo kitne ko diya?" and when he answers, walk away. Or go to a Quiznos and ask "What kind of breads do you have?" And when you get the answer, reply with the correct expression and say"Excellent!" and walk away. I dont know if I am making myself clear here... but the beauty of a blog is.. who the f*** cares.
So coming back to what do I want. Well to answer this open ended question is tough. At the moment, I want a good nights sleep. But to tackle it, one needs to break this question down.
1) What do I want in my career?
2) What do I want in my personal life?
3) What do I want from my spare time? (personal life and spare time are different is something I learnt here, not in the university obviously)
So there, seems simple enough. I have answers to each one. I am not going to publish them on a blog, obviously. Especially the personal life stuff is kinda R rated. But I do have these answers. But the vote seems divided. Cant make a decision inspite of picking three questions (for the statitically anal). So now what. Make more questions... Maybe. But time for bed now.

7 Comments:

Blogger Shekhoo said...

why ask questions?didnt do much harm till date . .. right?

11:11 PM  
Blogger Nalin said...

Well it entirely depends on whether you want to get what you want or not. You go into a restaurant, you have to know what you want. Or decide maybe. Only then, can you eat. "Get me your favourite" works. I have done it myself. But then, you have to be prepared to eat something you dont like. For a dinner, you might still be OK. But about life in general, I am not too sure. Well let me put it this way. I would rather know what I want and spend my life getting it. Thats just me. I want what I want. And for that, I need to know what I want.

11:19 PM  
Blogger sameer said...

Yes. I believe most of the questions we need to ask are those with the answer to the question : " melody itni chocolati kaise bani" ..

1:00 PM  
Blogger Nalin said...

Bole to?

1:11 PM  
Blogger sameer said...

You said it bro! you have put up such a vivid description of the "Matrix" that is America .. ki .. bole to .. bolne ko kuch bacha hi nahi ..

1:20 PM  
Blogger Nalin said...

You all are inspirations! If I totally threw caution to the wind.. and lived every day as it came.. I wud end up like you.. which is not very bad I think :)

8:01 PM  
Blogger Schrodinger said...

Hey Mangesh,
Nice blog. And yes "Paaji contrrrrol!!"

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home